It’s soup season! Nothing warms your body and soul like a delicious, steaming bowl of fresh, homemade soup. Soup is the ideal comfort food, satisfying and filling, and the range of soup flavours and types is nearly endless! For a different type of healthy flavour in a colourful, beautiful dish, we invite you to try this spiced beet-apple soup recipe! The hearty and healthy flavour of beets complements the sweet tart taste of classic apple well along with the aromatic notes of paprika, black pepper, cumin and coriander. The addition of chopped almonds provides a nutty, earthy flavour to top it off. Add this recipe to your soup repertoire for a delicious weeknight meal.
Spiced Beet-Apple Soup Recipe
2 medium red onions, diced
6 medium beets, peeled and cubed
1 medium apple, peeled and cubed
4 cloves garlic, minced
9 g / 1 1/2 tsp salt
6 g / 1 tsp paprika
4 g / 1/2 tsp freshly ground black pepper
4 g / 1/2 tsp ground cumin
4 g / 1/2 tsp ground coriander
1 bay leaf
960 ml / 4 cups chicken or vegetable broth
120 ml / 1/2 cup water
15 ml / 1 tbsp balsamic vinegar
43 g / 1/3 cup almonds, toasted and roughly chopped
For garnish (optional)
mint and/or coriander
1. In a large pot, melt Canola Harvest margarine with olive oil over medium heat. Add onions and cook until soft; 5 minutes. Add beets and cook for 3 minutes. Add apples and garlic, cook for 1 minute.
2. Add salt, pepper, paprika, cumin, coriander, and bay leaf. Stir to combine.
3. Add broth and water. Bring to a rolling boil. Reduce heat to low and simmer for about 55 to 60 minutes. Take off heat and remove the bay leaf.
4. Add almonds and vinegar.
5. Blend with a hand-held blender until smooth or until desired consistency.
6. Garnish with yogurt or sour cream. Add chopped mint and/or coriander leaves. Sprinkle with toasted sliced almonds.
• If you do not have a hand-held immersion blender, cool the soup and puree in a blender.
• If you’re a cheese lover, garnish with a handful of crumbled feta or goat cheese.