Ordering takeout or delivery from your favourite restaurant is more convenient than ever, thanks to the many apps that allow us to order anything from pizza to Pad Thai from the comfort of our couches. However, many of us are keeping a close eye on our waistlines and our wallets. When it comes to nutrition and limiting expenses, a home-cooked meal almost always beats convenience. According to Canada’s Food Guide, cooking and preparing meals at home can support healthy eating habits, such as choosing healthier ingredients, limiting the amount of sodium-rich sauces and seasonings, and saving money.
An easy way to enjoy dining in is to make your own home-cooked versions of takeout favourites. For instance, our Shrimp Stir-Fry is quick and easy to prepare, and most importantly, rivals any takeout stir-fry. Crisp, fresh vegetables add crunch and colour, while succulent shrimp are a great source of low-calorie protein. These tasty shellfish are rich in nutrients, omega-3, and omega-6 fatty acids, which can improve heart health. Combined with canola oil, which is also rich in omega-3 and omega-6 fatty acids, this stir-fry packs a flavourful and heart-healthy punch.
Prep Time: 10 minutes
Cooking Time: 15 minutes
Yield: 4 servings
1/2 cup Hoisin sauce
1/2 cup chicken broth
1 tsp cornstarch
1 tsp Canola Harvest Canola Oil
800g raw shrimp, peeled and deveined
1 tbs fresh ginger root, grated
2 cups broccoli florets
1 red pepper, cut into strips
1 yellow pepper, cut into strips
1/4 cup green onions, diced
sesame seeds for garnish (optional)
1. Place shrimp in a colander and rinse in cold water. Set aside on a plate to drain.
2. Whisk Hoisin sauce, Canola Harvest Canola Oil, and chicken broth together in a small bowl. Slowly add cornstarch, whisking to remove lumps. Set aside.
3. Heat wok on medium heat, and spray generously with Canola Harvest Oil Spray. Add ginger and sauté for 2 minutes. Add shrimp and toss gently until they turn pink. Remove from wok and set aside on a plate.
4. Set heat to medium-high and spray wok again with Canola Harvest Oil Spray. Once pan is hot, add broccoli and peppers and sauté for 1 minute.
5. Add sauce mixture to the wok, and mix to coat vegetables and shrimp. Turn heat down to medium until sauce reduces to a thicker consistency. Remove from heat. Garnish with green onions and sesame seeds (optional). Serve on top of rice, noodles, or quinoa.