Biscuits are a versatile part of your next meal. You can serve them with jam or as a tasty, flaky side with your hearty stew or fried chicken meal. This bold and delicious jalapeno cheddar biscuit recipe takes the classic flavours of aged cheddar cheese and mixes them with the zesty notes of jalapeño pepper. Satisfy your carb cravings by treating yourself to these savoury biscuits hot, fresh and steaming from the oven.
Jalapeno Cheddar Biscuit recipe
65 g / ¼ cup Dark brown sugar
1 Eggs, large
1 piece Jalapeno pepper, seeds removed and diced
200 g / 1 cup Aged cheddar, grated
500 g / 4 cups All-purpose flour
8 g / 1 tbsp Baking powder
2 g / ½ tsp Baking soda
2 g / ½ tsp Salt
250 ml / 1 cup Buttermilk, have extra for brushing
1. Pre-heat the oven to 350°F (175°C).
2. Combine the flour, brown sugar, baking powder, baking soda, diced jalapeno, cheddar, and salt in a large bowl.
3. Using your fingertips, rub the Mirage Margarine into the flour mixture until pea-sized pieces of margarine remain. Chill in the refrigerator for 20 minutes.
4. Whisk together the buttermilk and egg in a measuring cup.
5. Remove the dry ingredients from the refrigerator and pour in the buttermilk and egg mixture. Gently knead the dough with your hands until it starts to come together.
6. Move the dough to a floured surface. Use your hands to shape it into a large square about 3 cm in height.
7. Using a glass, cut out as many rounds as you can. Gather the scraps, re-roll them and repeat once more.
8. Place the biscuits onto a lined baking sheet and brush the tops with a little extra buttermilk. Sprinkle with salt and pepper.
9. Bake for 20-25 minutes (rotating the tray part way through baking), until the biscuits are golden brown.
10. Remove from the oven and transfer to a resting rack to cool slightly. Enjoy these while they’re still warm.