Let the home cooked and satisfying aromas of basil, spinach, tomatoes and fresh tortellini waft through your home as you prepare this beautiful and steaming pot of Hearty Tortellini Soup. A warm and comforting but easy recipe that is robust with the enticing flavours of Italian sausage, celery, garlic, and onions. Use the delicate yet flavourful notes of Canola Harvest canola oil with olive oil to tie everything together. It’s perfect for a weekday meal served with some toasted garlic bread. A delicious and filling soup that’s absolutely perfect for serving right in the middle of soup season. Top each serving with the bold taste of shredded parmesan to complete this future family favourite.
Hearty Tortellini Soup
524 calories per serving
1 tsp Canola Harvest canola oil with olive oil
500 g ground Italian sausage
1/2 cup onion, diced
1 Tbsp garlic, minced
1 can crushed tomatoes
6 cups vegetable broth
2 Tbsp basil
Salt (to taste)
Pepper (to taste)
9 oz tortellini pasta
3 stalks celery
2 cups chopped spinach
1 cup shredded parmesan cheese
1. In a Dutch oven, heat Canola Harvest canola oil with olive oil over medium heat
2. Add onions. Cook until tender and soft.
3. Add ground Italian sausage and garlic. Cook until sausage is no longer pink.
4. Stir in crushed tomatoes, vegetable broth, basil, salt and pepper.
5. Bring to a boil, then reduce heat and let simmer for 25 minutes.
6. Add tortellini, celery, and chopped spinach to soup and simmer until the pasta is tender, about 10 minutes.
7. Add shredded cheese before serving.
Serve with toasted garlic bread for a delicious Italian style meal. Nothing beats soup when it’s cold outside.