Having some pasta for dinner? We know that you love your spaghetti as much as we do, but you know what makes a great weekday pasta dinner with your family even better? Having a crusty and delicious garlic bread to accompany it! This easy garlic cheese bread recipe takes an unsliced loaf of your favourite bread (we prefer an fresh Italian loaf), fills it with tasty grated mozzarella and Canola Harvest margarine with olive oil seasoned with minced garlic and aromatic oregano. Your favourite pasta meal, whether it’s lasagna, spaghetti or ravioli, deserves a great accompaniment and this garlic cheese bread fits the bill!
Garlic Cheese Bread Recipe
30 gm / 2 tbsp Minced Garlic
6 gm / 1 tbsp Oregano, Dried
120 gm / ½ cup Parmesan cheese, grated (have extra for topping)
2 gm / 1 tsp Black Pepper, ground
120 gm / 1 cup Mozzarella, grated
1 Loaf Fresh Bread
1. Pre-heat the oven to 375°F(200°C).
2. In a mixing bowl, cream together the Canola Harvest margarine with the minced garlic, oregano, salt and pepper, with an electric mixer for 3 minutes.
3. Slice the loaf of bread ¾ of the way down from the top, but not all the way through. Make the slices about ½” wide.
4. Spread the garlic margarine mixture on each side of the slices.
5. Between each slice sprinkle some of the grated mozzarella.
6. Place the loaf on a lined baking sheet, squeezing the loaf together.
7. Spread the top of the loaf with more Canola Harvest margarine, and sprinkle with extra parmesan cheese. There is no such thing as too much cheese with this loaf.
8. Place the loaf in the oven and bake for approximately 15 minutes, or until the top is golden and the center is hot with cheese oozing out the sides.
9. Remove from the oven and allow to cool slightly, before eating. The cheese will be hot when first removed from the oven.
• Try mixing in any combination of cheeses, fresh herbs and spices.
• Some like it spicy, so try adding crushed chili flakes to the margarine spread.
• Serve this as one large loaf, or try using Pain au Lait buns to make individual cheesy snack buns.