Most Canadians daydream about summer all winter long- especially when scraping ice and snow off our windshields. When the weather finally heats up, it’s as if the whole country celebrates. We all know that summer goes by so quickly, so everyone across Canada does what they can to enjoy the season to the fullest. The last thing most of us want to do while enjoying the sunshine and heat, is spend time in the kitchen, cooking over a hot stove. With minimal food prep and no oven required, our Crunchy Summer Bean Salad is perfect for hot weather. This healthy, protein packed salad travels well and can be easily modified with any fresh summer vegetables you have on hand.
Crunchy Summer Bean Salad
Prep Time: 10 minutes
• 540 ml Bean medley (canned), drained and rinsed
• 540 ml Black beans (canned), drained and rinsed
• 1 cup Cherry tomatoes, halved
• 1 Yellow bell pepper, diced
• 1 Red bell pepper, diced
• 2 Celery staks, diced
• 1 cup Corn kernels
• 1 cup Cilantro leaves, roughly chopped
• 1/2 Red onion, diced
• 1/2 cup Canola with Avocado oil blend
• 1 tbs honey
• Juice of 2-3 limes
• 1 garlic clove
• Salt and Pepper to taste
• 1 Jalapeno pepper, seeded and ribs removed, and diced (optional)
1. In a large bowl, combine vegetable and beans together. Mix well.
2. In a small bowl, whisk oil, honey, minced garlic, and lime juice together until smooth.
3. Pour dressing over salad and mix well. Add salt and pepper to taste.
5. Refrigerate for one hour before serving.