A simple dish to start the new year right, these chicken and waffle bites are delicious, easy to make and easy to eat. You can either make your own waffles from scratch or simply use ready-to-eat frozen waffles. Remember to top these bite size delights with the comforting flavour of real maple syrup. When we’re all ready to party again, this recipe will be at the top of your list!
Chicken and Waffle Bites
2 chicken breasts, cut into bite-sized pieces
2 cups buttermilk
2 cups Canola Harvest canola oil
1 cup all-purpose flour
1/2 cup cornstarch
30 mini frozen waffles
1. Using a large bowl, cover and completely coat the chicken breasts in buttermilk. Refrigerate for a minimum of 5 hours.
2. Combine flour, cornstarch, salt, pepper, garlic powder, pepper flakes, and dried oregano in a deep bowl.
3. Dip the buttermilk coated chicken pieces in the flour mixture.
4. Heat the Canola Harvest canola oil in a saucepan to medium heat.
5. Adding a few pieces at a time, fry the chicken pieces for 3-5 minutes, or until crispy golden brown. Dry off chicken pieces on a paper towel.
6. Toast the waffles or heat in an 375 degree oven for 12 minutes.
7. Place a crispy chicken bite over each waffle and top with maple syrup.