Also known as “gougères,” these warm and satisfying cheese puffs are topped with delicious homemade tomato jam. It’s a perfect addition for your next brunch or as an afternoon snack for your next cheese craving. The tomato jam is a delicate addition with its robust flavours of tomatoes, coriander, and brown sugar.
Cheese puffs with tomato jam recipe
Makes 12 cheese puffs and 3 cups of jam
150 g / 2/3 cup Canola Harvest margarine with olive oil, melted
315 ml / 1 1/3 cup milk
340 g / 3 cups tapioca flour
200 g / 1 cup grated cheddar cheese
5 g / 1 tsp salt
800 g / 4 cups tomatoes, roughly chopped
1 medium onion, roughly chopped
230 g / 1 cup brown sugar
2 g / 1/2 tsp ground coriander
60 ml / 1/4 cup apple cider vinegar
112 g / 1/2 cup Canola Harvest margarine with olive oil
salt to taste
1. Preheat oven to 400F (200C).
2. Put all ingredients for cheese puffs in blender and blend until smooth.
3. Spoon batter into muffin tins and fill about three quarters of the way top the top.
4. Bake in the oven for 40 minutes until puffy and lightly browned.
5. For the jam, put all ingredients in a large pot. Bring to a gentle boil.
6. Turn down the heat to medium-low and let bubble very slightly. The tomatoes will initially be very watery, but will thicken up in time.
7. Cook until consistency coats the back of a spoon, about 2 hours.
• Check the jam mixture every half hour and give it a stir so it doesn’t burn to the bottom.