This is your classic macaroni and cheese with the classic pairing of bacon and mushrooms. Sometimes you just crave simplicity, warmth, and comfort and this delicious dish provides it and more! Let the hearty flavours of mushrooms mix with the taste of your bacon to give you a Mac and Cheese that’s delectable and just a little bit more than usual. It’s an easy dish that is sure to warm your family as the temperatures start getting colder. Tastes delicious as leftovers too! Don’t just stop with bacon and mushrooms either! You can add some jalapeños, peppers; anything goes with macaroni and cheese!
Bacon & Mushroom Mac & Cheese
524 calories per serving
3 cups elbow macaroni
1 tsp Canola Harvest canola oil with avocado
1 package bacon
2 1/2 cups chopped mushrooms
1/4 cup Canola Harvest margarine with olive oil
1/4 cup all-purpose flour
2 cups chicken broth
1 cup milk
4 cups cheddar cheese, shredded
1 cup Swiss cheese, shredded
1. Cook pasta until al dente.
2. Heat Canola Harvest canola oil in large skillet over medium heat. Cook bacon until slightly crispy. Set aside on paper towels to dry.
3. Reserve some canola oil and bacon fat and add mushrooms until brown and soft. Set aside.
4. In a medium saucepan, melt Canola Harvest margarine. Whisk in flour until smooth. Continue whisking until thick, about 3 minutes.
5. Remove from heat and stir in cups of cheese until melted. Season to taste.
6. Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
7. In a large bowl, add pasta, bacon, mushrooms and cheese sauce and combine.
8. Pour into 9×13 inch baking pan.
9. Bake for 20 minutes or until pasta is bubbly.